Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Another Canberra Marathon completed!

It has been twelve months since I last blogged and it is difficult to make that first step back into blogland. It's been a busy, full twelve months with the arrival of two more grandsons and a wonderful trip last winter to Italy and the Greek Islands, running in lots of exotic places. In a few weeks time we are heading for Spain where Mr B will compete in the world duathlon championships at the start of our five week holiday. 

The Canberra Marathon has come and gone again for another year. That makes 15 Canberra marathons successfully completed. I have to say this was probably my toughest marathon and definitely my slowest. I went into it with a very sore leg and at the 5km point I wondered if I would actually complete it but the endorphins kicked in and the competitors, volunteers and spectators kept me going. The weather was perfect and the support as always fabulous. However, I have never been more happy to reach the finish line. It was a very long 42.2km. A week and a half later I am still sore although I have not run, but walked every day with my dog and done cross training such as swimming, body balance and stretching.

I have no doubt that I will endeavour to be back to do it all again next  year.

Postscript: The official results tell me that I came 2nd in my age group out of 11 in a time of 4hours 41minutes which is 5 minutes slower than last year but in a better position! Now to start running again!




8 comments:

  1. Well done Strewth on all counts. Restart the blog, & finish another marathon. If only you had the sprint finish, we saw the video, all the way. Time to enjoy the overseas holiday & escape part of the winter. If I don't catch up with you on Sunday, I have to watch your running from afar. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steve. Now let's see if I can keep up the blogging a little more regularly! The running is a struggle currently. :(

      Delete
  2. Woohoo! Your blog has come back from the ashes!
    Well done on your 15th and 2nd place. That's amazing. And you weren't much slower than last year. Now to get your injury niggles all sorted for next year! Very jealous of your trip to Spain. Enjoy the sun, cheering, coffee and shopping :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good coffee in Spain is a very remote possibility going from past experience but thank you Ewen, I will certainly enjoy the sun, cheering and shopping!!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the podium and another marathon under your belt.
    ... and welcome to the new 2 grandsons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Stefano. It's been a while since I've checked my blog and it's lovely to find your comment. I do hope all is well with you. I must call over and check out your blog too.

    ReplyDelete