Monday, September 26, 2011

Training on the HIlls!

Sunday - Vets' Handicap at O'Connor Ridge

We had a busy weekend helping our son's family move house and babysitting but it was very productive. On Sunday morning we made it to the monthly veterans' handicap run at O'Connor Ridge. This is a very undulating course and the weather was bleak with a cold headwind on parts of the run. I ran off Group 20 having been put back a couple of groups since the last handicap. Mr B ran off Group 29, having missed last month's handicap as he was competing in a duathlon at the time.
I actually like this course but I was watching my footing as it was very rough. I passed quite a number of people but a number of people passed me in the last couple of kms including our very speedy leader!
Handicap group: 20
Total distance: 8km plus 1km warm-up
Time taken: 49:08
Average pace per km: 6:08
Age percentile: 72.5%
Finish place: 48th (out of 94)


After the presentations I joined a number of speedygeese to celebrate Heidi's birthday for brunch at Black Pepper in Belconnen. It was great fun and we filled two tables with a gaggle of geese!

Monday - training at Parliament House
This morning I worked on chest, back and abs at the gym for just over an hour before heading into town for a scheduled routine mammogram. Oh the joys of being a woman of a certain age!! I am quite sure a man invented that nasty machine which has now gone digital - I swear it's even worse than it was two years ago!

Tonight after our warm up loops we headed for the bottom of the grassy hill opposite PH. Here we ran up all sections of the long hill and round a loop  back to the bottom of the hill and repeated this 3 times on five minutes. This was one set and we repeated the set 6 times for a total of 30minutes. We finished with a warm down loop of PH. It was a tough hill and a tough session - all in order to make us stronger!
Total distance: 7.5km






2 comments:

  1. Don't worry. I'm having a quiet word to the handicap committee about our speedy leader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewen no you're not.

    Strewth are you certain you're of that age?

    ReplyDelete