Saturday, October 10, 2009

What is a baby pelican called?

Wednesday
6.15am - RPM/spin class
7am - 15mins abs class
6pm - Run with Chris, Jen and Andy from Parliament House. After a cold windy day with threatening rain clouds we were lucky as the rain disappeared for our run and it was ok weather-wise. However, I was dragging the chain a bit, especially when Chris led us up steep parts of Mt Ainslie to give us a challenge on our run. I was struggling this afternoon and although the company was fun I was glad to finish. The last few kms were the easiest in fact! During the run we spotted some cute fluffy cygnets. When speedygeoff and I saw some of these fluffy babies on Monday's warm-up run a discussion arose as to the names of various babies - goslings, cygnets, ducklings to name a few but we struggled on naming baby pelicans. After research I have discovered that they are in fact called chicks! Spring is certainly here with baby birds and animals, pretty blossom trees, windy days, green grass and swooping magpies but there is not much warmth in the sun yet!
Total distance: 12.2km
Time taken: 1:25:12
Average pace per km: 6:59 (very very slow)
Calories burned: 695
Thursday
Tonight I was on gate duty at track so unable to take part in the events. Instead I went for a short run in the late afternoon just around the local block. It felt much warmer then than it did later when the wind picked up and I wore my bright yellow beanie and lots of layers on gate duty.
Total distance: 6.76km
Time taken: 39:32:48
Average pace per km: 5:51
Calories burned: 395
Saturday
Today, with my running buddies competing in Melbourne, I enjoyed a bit of a lie in after a late dinner with friends last night. I ran from home at about 10am and the sun was out. Although cool, it was warm enough to run in a singlet top. I ran the Lake Ginninderra route which I haven't run for a long time and found it quite pleasant.
Total distance: 15km
Time taken: 1:31:23
Average pace per km: 6:05
Calories burned: 875

1 comment:

  1. You know, just when you think something is going to be really complicated, they always turn out being more simple than you could have imagined. I would also assume that a baby pelican is called something like a "peckling" or some kind of baby name, but to read that they are called chicks is surprising and seems like a good trivia question.

    ReplyDelete