Sunday, April 30, 2006

Kill or Cure!

My cold is back with a vengeance! Yesterday morning it rained and it rained. We dressed in our running gear, went to the car to set off for our run at the lake but the rain was not slowing down and after a few telephone calls to CJ and JS we decided to give it a miss. Instead we changed into warm clothes and did the shopping and other sundry household tasks. I was very dosed up with cold and flu tablets and was quite glad of the reprieve. Trouble is that's two days in a row without running. Later in the day Mr B and I went to the movies to see World's Fastest Indian. It was a great movie. We just loved it and would strongly recommend it for a feel-good movie. Anthony Hopkins was superb as Burt Munro, a New Zealander who set a number of motorcycle speed records in the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah in the late '60s when he himself was in his late 60s.

Anyway on to Sunday and the Vets' Monthly Handicap Run

Location: Mt Majura Nature Park
Distance: 10km
Time taken: 58:28
Place: 56th
Average pace per km: 5:55
Calories burned: 594

Comments: "It's getting harder and harder to breathe......" Yes, I found it difficult to breathe in parts mainly cos I'm all stuffed up and have to breathe through my mouth. I was pretty dosed up on echinacea and cold and flu tablets and it wasn't helped by the fact that the start of the run was uphill. In normal circumstances I think I would have enjoyed the run. It was all off-road on a dirt track and a lot of it was uphill but there was also a fair amount of downhill and it was interesting through the hills. Trouble was I was feeling pretty ordinary. However I did manage a little sprint at the end so that I could finish just before Marg M which made me feel better. It was great to chat to everyone and we were so pleased to be there when our good friend Ian won the gold for the short course on his birthday - great pressie to take home - a big trophy and a medal. Good on you Ian! Mr B and CJ ran to the finish almost neck and neck, Mr B sprinting through to the finish just 15secs ahead of CJ who, I might add, decided to run yesterday afternoon when the rain cleared, unlike us! Later CJ, Mr B and I went for a relaxing coffee and a blueberry friand each at Carlo's in Watson - yummo!

I think the run did me good as tonight I feel marginally better. Here's hoping I have a better night's sleep. Tomorrow I will start to be good, lose the extra couple of kilos I've put on and get back into it. Yoga starts up again on Wed and tomorrow is speedygeoff's group.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that you aren't well Strewth - make sure you look after yourself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fellow sufferer, I hope you're feeling better soon!

    4/5 from me for TWFI. 300kph on that old bike and sitting so close to the salt... amazing! He was an old chap too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better soon. Wrap up warm in that cold Canberra air!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dash it.

    I was out of town when the rains came so I missed running in the rain.

    Instead I went for a run in warmish 25 deg weather in Queensland.

    ReplyDelete