Sunday, February 24, 2008

Vets Handicap - 0n the road to recovery!

The morning started with momentary panic, when my son who was collecting the grandchildren (who had stayed overnight) couldn't start his car which was parked behind ours, but it actually turned out to be a good day. The handicap was run at North Curtin and the first 2km was a steady incline, the second km being steeper than the first. However, for some weird reason I felt quite comfortable just taking small steps up the hill and speeding up a little on the downhills. I managed to catch up with Marg and overtake her and to overtake the other person in my handicap group. CJ of course sped past me in the last km starting from Group 35. She's running so well and is in fine form for the marathon. I enjoyed the run and it felt so good to actually be making an effort and not to suffer too much. That's the first speed event I've attempted since my hamstring injury in November. I think I may be on the road to recovery at last! I visit Jimmy at the clinic again on Tuesday. I hope he's pleased with me. I still do my strengthening exercises every night! It was good to catch up with lots of people at the handicap who I haven't seen for ages as I missed last month's run.

Happy birthday to Jeni who returned to Uni in Sydney today after a few of us enjoyed a coffee with her after the run.

Distance: 6.2km
Time taken: 34:38
Average pace per km: 5:35 (It's below a 6 at last!!)
Fastest km: 4:58 (how did that happen? - must have been a downhill km)
Calories burned: 367
Handicap group: 23
Place: 69th

1 comment:

  1. Tell Ewen I passed you on the grass because you were passing others as well. Just say eat my dust. Great to see you again.

    ReplyDelete