Saturday, January 28, 2012

Slower and Longer!

Yesterday I went for a swim before meeting CJ for a lovely coffee and brekkie at Beppes at the markets. It was such an excellent catch up as CJ had an extra day off work so we could make it leisurely.

Today I drove to the War Memorial carpark by 6.45am to meet Jen who ran the first part of my long run with me. We headed for the west basin running round the wetlands and past Kingston and over Kings Ave bridge where we met up with Ewen to continue on with the run. Jen left us at 13km and Ewen and I continued on past the ANU round the museum and on to Black Mountain peninsula. We turned soon after that and ran back past the ferry terminal and on past Rond Tce where we spotted the line up for the half marathon which commenced at 10am - rather a late start in the summer time. However at this stage there was cloud cover although that had definitely lifted by the time I was in the last few kms of my run. Soon after that Ewen left me to head back to the carpark while I ran on to Molonglo Reach and back to Anzac Parade to log up the last 8km of my run.

We did spot a few familiar faces on our run including Katherine, Andy, Zainab and Suzy running their various distances. I found it really tough today and certainly appreciated having company for the majority of the run.

Total distance: 34km
Time taken: 3:49:34
Average pace per km: 6:45
Calories burned: 1871

The best part was the leisurely brunch with Ewen at the cafe later. Oh boy I needed that food input so much! We analysed my slow speed and tried to find a way to make me run faster. Oh boy, tomorrow's vets' handicap run is going to be very tough after today!


Photo shows Ewen, Roger and Andy at the Gold Coast in 2010 - after the 10k and marathon

2 comments:

  1. I remember that photo. Good dinner, and cheap thanks to Roger ;)

    Bet your speed is better than mine in the morning. Part of the secret is to get a good night's sleep prior to the long run. Whoops! Goodnight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to add my cents worth as to your slow run results. But, I will get shot down again.
    Plenty of changes could be made, but other factors may interfere with how you do adjust.

    ReplyDelete