Friday, January 21, 2011

A Little Trip to Sydney

Mr B and I drove to Sydney for a few days to make the most of part of his Christmas present and see The Jersey Boys. It was fantastic and brought back lots of memories from that era. We also went to a fantastic newly opened restaurant near where the girls live in Woolloomooloo, visited China's Entombed Warriors at the Art Gallery and had a great swim at Watson's Bay followed by fish and chips at Doyles - yummo! Needless to say I did not run while in Sydney. However, I ran on Tuesday morning before we left Canberra and on Thursday night after our return and instead of having my Friday rest day I ran this morning as well! This means I am still on schedule - phew!
Monday 17 January - speedygeese training at Parliament House
I ran at about 4.45pm with Ewen to gain some extra distance. We just missed the 4.30pm early start but did manage to run 6km to help our day's total.
At 5.30pm we met up with the other speedygeese for the main session. There were 19 of us in total which is good for this time of year. It was very warm but not as humid as it has been lately. After a warm up loop we headed for a sandy hill and ran 20 x 100m hills. It was a good surface but extremely dusty especially after a few repeats. I didn't push myself too much as I knew I had to run again the following morning. However, it still felt hard and I didn't miss any repeats. We ran another loop of PH for a cool down.
Total distance with early warm-up: 14.4km
Tuesday 18 January
I left the house at 8.15am after making sure I was completely packed and ready for our trip before I ran. I just ran out along the cycle track and through the tunnel towards Gungahlin for 6km and then turned and ran back.
Total distance: 12km
Time taken: 1:14:26
Average pace per km: 6:12
Thursday 20 January
After our afternoon swim in Sydney we left quite late and managed to become caught in peak hour traffic. It therefore took much longer than planned to leave Sydney let alone reach home at a reasonable hour. It was after 7.30pm when we arrived and too late to go to track. Mr B was even late for squash! I left home at 8pm and it was becoming quite dark by the time I arrived home.
Total distance: 10km
Time taken: 1:01:20
Average pace per km: 6:08
Friday 21 January
The plan this morning was to run to the gym in time for my Body Balance class then run home again. However, the best laid plans and all that. I left home in plenty of time (5.30am) but in the dim light I managed to take a wrong turn or three when I was attempting a short cut and by that time I was feeling very disillusioned and frustrated so I just ran instead. At least I had a lovely early start to the day!
Total distance: 10.6km
Time taken: 1:05
Average pace per km: 6:12
Tomorrow my long run is scheduled. Here's hoping I manage the distance!

3 comments:

  1. I'm too young to remember "that era" ;-)

    You got lost? Doesn't your car have a Garmin?! And anyway, didn't you "do a CJ" in your house?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewen - no good having a GPS in the car - I was running at the time! Yes, I did do a "CJ" on the slippery laundry floor and I have a black swollen toe which is currently strapped to the next one. Here's hoping I can still run my long run:( You must remember Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons - Cherry Baby, Big Girls Don't Cry etc!! It was only in the '60s!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember all those songs; then I thought they were great, now I think they're terrible! Sorry!

    Poor big toe! For goodness sake be more careful on slippery floors; very dangerous!

    ReplyDelete