Monday, January 21, 2013

Lizard Spotting and Speedygeese Relays

It was another scorcher in the nation's capital today. This afternoon we took our grandchildren to the Botanical Gardens to do some lizard spotting. It was lovely in the rainforest and walking through the shady forest with tiny streams below us and little wooden bridges to cross. What is more we saw lots of lizards and some quite big ones! I'm not sure who was more excited, the children or me!
A large lizard in the Botanical Gardens






This evening it was back to the speedygeese session at Parliament House. I managed to squeeze in 1km before the start of the session joining Speedygeoff as he was finishing a much longer early run. Tonight after our warm up loop of PH (and as it was still 35deg it certainly was warm) we were divided into teams for relays on the lower grassy hill below PH. The top half was blocked off in preparation for the Australian Day concert in the weekend.

I was put in a group of four and had to run the uphill straights every time inbetween running across the top short straight and down the hill diagonally and across the bottom straight in a zigzag to be tagged by my next team member (Cookie) who was running really fast so I couldn't have too much rest! It was very hot and hard work running the uphills but at least they were reasonably short. We had to repeat this for 24minutes and this was followed by a cool down which felt almost toughest of all.
Total distance: 9km (including warm up)



3 comments:

  1. I totally agree about the "warm down"...I was knackered and I still had to ride home!

    Oh, cool lizard too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd rather be lying where the lizard is than running those hills!! Great strength training though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why I didn't do the cool down! I think Cookie may have been knackered too.

    ReplyDelete