Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Smoking!

No I haven't taken up the evil weed but this evening the smell of smoke is wafting through the air near us and when we open the doors or windows it becomes very strong. There have been a number of fires across the border in NSW and I think the wind must be blowing the smoke this way. It has certainly been a traumatic few days for lots of interstate people and we have been lucky so far here in the ACT with only a few grass fires reported.
This morning was a lot cooler than the past few days and I set out early for my run before grandparent duties, it being school holidays. However, although the temperature had dropped considerably the wind had not and I had to really battle a strong head wind on the way out. My plan incorporated two 1600m fast with 800m jogs inbetween with a warm up and cool down. Total distance 10km. It was so hard and my speed needs soooo much work! The difficult part was finding anywhere flat for the speedwork. It didn't happen. On the first one I was battling against the wind and on the return I was running a slight uphill the entire time although the wind was now behind me. In fact I was slower the second time.
Later in the day we went to the nearby outdoor swimming pool and the grandchildren had heaps of fun in the water features and pools which had shade cloths over them to prevent sunburn - a great initiative.
Tomorrow the heat is returning - looks like another early run. I won't make it to track in the evening as I need to do my long run on Friday morning as we are travelling to the coast on Saturday for another triathlon for Mr B on Sunday morning.
tempura whiting and chips at Watsons Bay
Centennial Park Sydney



3 comments:

  1. Woohoo! A post that's less than 1000 words.

    Another triathlon? Hope the highway remains open. Hope it's not too long before Saturday runs start later than 7am!

    P.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I'll make your next big thing the NY Marathon? When is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Canberra Marathon is on 14 April and the NY Marathon is on 3 November. Thanks Ewen - you are a legend:)

      Delete