Thursday, March 09, 2006

Fartlek and Knee Twinges

Ouch - my knees are hurting, especially my left one. I am currently icing it and feeling cranky!

Activity: Fartlek Run
Distance: 12.62km plus 800m unrecorded warm-up while gaining a satellite
Average pace per km: 5:43
Fastest km: 5:04
Calories: 766

Session:
Ran about 10mins recorded warm-up then ran fartlek on rolling hills (they're probably the cause of the knee problems) . Main set as follows:

2 x 60secs/60 float
4 x 30secs/30 float
2 x 60secs/60 float
4 x 30secs/30 float
2 x 60secs/60 float

Wore my new shoes and had a bit of a problem initially as they felt a bit loose so I stopped and threaded the laces through the hole near the ankle to give them a bit more support. They're the same size as my other shoes but they felt a bit bigger. However, after a while I became used to them. I ran from work past Rydges and over the bridge to the ferry terminal and it took most of that time to gain a satellite. After that I turned on Gandalf and started the session properly. I ran to and past the museum, turned right and ran on for 6km over the Black Mountain hill and lots of other undulations. In fact every time I had to run a fast bit I seemed to end up at the start of a hill. I had forgotten how many hills there are on that part of the lake. The session did state'fartlek on rolling hills' and that certainly ended up happening. However, I'm not too happy that my left knee is hurting right now. Hope this ice helps.

Tomorrow I have a sports massage so I'm hoping for miracles. After that I have a funeral to go to - David was the husband of a friend from speedygeoff's running group and the Vets' Athletics. She is a lovely lady and David died very suddenly in spite of being extremely fit. It will be a very moving occasion I think and supported by a large number of the running and cycling community.

Tomorrow night I'm going to dinner with another group of close friends at Bernadettes, the vegetarian restaurant in Ainslie. I am very much looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment